Join Our Team
Sunrise has internships available for our Farm to School program!
Sunrise Farm to School Intern (Unpaid)
About Sunrise Project
The mission of Sunrise Project is to provide space and opportunities for people of all ages and backgrounds to build an equitable community through education, good food and social connection. We envision a resilient community that provides for its own needs and offers opportunities for all people to grow and eat culturally appropriate foods, care for the land and one another. We are a community-driven organization committed to creating an equitable system in which people of all ages and experiences live self-determined, healthy and meaningful lives. We value all knowledge, from technical to experiential; believe in nurturing community relationships and cooperative experiences; work for social justice, personal empowerment, and positive systemic change for our whole community; and strive to accomplish our mission and vision without sacrificing fun and beauty.
About the Internship
Sunrise Project is seeking a Sunrise Farm to School intern to assist staff in working with youth and families at three local elementary schools. This passionate and detail-oriented individual will work with the Farm to School Program Manager to cook, garden and eat healthy food with youth in grades 3-5 at Cordley, Kennedy and New York Elementary schools in East Lawrence.
The Sunrise Farm to School intern will assist with a variety of tasks that may include:
• Implement hands-on classroom cooking experiences for youth in 3rd-5th grade that incorporates garden produce.
• Alongside youth and staff, operate a “farmer’s market” at each elementary school during the growing season, once a week, at lunchtime, so that all students can taste test garden produce.
• Assist with implementing a school garden that incorporates student and family input at Kennedy Elementary.
• Work with students and staff to assist with Cordley and New York elementary garden programs, as needed.
• Assist with annual field trips to Sunrise Project.
• Assist with program evaluation and tracking.
• Other duties as assigned.
This is an unpaid position. Number of hours per week is negotiable. Flexible schedule available, based on candidate’s availability. Most work will need to occur between the hours of 8 am to 3 pm Monday through Friday.
E-mail Melissa Freiburger, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in this position.